lunedì 5 maggio 2008

Two from Wiltshire.

Two from Wiltshire.
A-shrovin', a-shrovin',
i be come a-shrovin',
a piece of bread, a piece of cheese,
A bit of your fat bacaon,
Or a dish of dough-nuts,
All of your own makin'!

A-shrovin', a-shrovin',
Nice meat in a pie,
my mouth is very dry.

From Warminster.

Dame, is your pan hot?
Lard and corn is dear;
I've come a-shovin',
Tis but once a year.
So up to the flitch
and cut a gurt stitch;
If your hens don't lay,
I'll steal your cock away
Afore next Shrove Tuesday.

From West Somerset.

Tippety-Tippety-tin;
Give me a pancake and I'll come in.
Tippety-tippety-toe,
Give me a pancake and then I'll go.

Cornish version.

Nicky, nicky, nan,
Give me a pancake and then I'll be gone.
But if you give me none,
I'll throw a great stone
And down your door shall come.

(Extracts from "A Calendar of Country Customs")

Nessun commento: